quinta-feira, 27 de outubro de 2016

Systema mass-attack & Jogo do Pau: A single approach to multiple opponent combat

In the spring of 2014, I travelled for the very first time to Serbia, so as to take part in my third Systema seminar*: A week long Systema mass-attack training camp, with world renown instructor Alex Kostic.


*(the previous two had been under the competent and entertaining guidance of Kevin Secours)
 


On Alex Kostic


First, I highly recommend training with Alex Kostic, either at his amazing private headquarters, or by attending this week-long training camp (that goes by the name: Training under the clouds). In both cases, the combination of a wonderful location and expert teaching will make for a great learning vacation.


On Systema mass-attack


While already sold on the overall effectiveness of Systema, I decided to attend this training camp because of its topic: multiple opponent combat (or, as they prefer to call it in Systema, mass-attack).

This being the original focus of Jogo do Pau, previous analyses of Systema mass-attack led me to form the opinion that their guiding tactical concepts were the same as those that oversee Jogo do Pau's weapon combat approach to fighting multiple opponents. However, I wanted a closer look at this, and thus the trip to this awesome piece of land from the former Yugoslavia.


Mass-attack with batons
As it happens, not only did I thoroughly enjoy both training and meeting great new people (yes, even the spaniards ... LOL), I confirmed my "suspicions", in that the tactical concepts of these two arts for dealing with multiple opponents matched. In short, such tactical concepts refer to using:

  • Awareness, distance and timing to steal the initiative
    (and thus place one's foes on the back foot)

  • Striking & distance to handle approaching foes
    (
    from varying angles)

  • All of one's effort / commitment in each action
    (no pacing oneself here) 



 

Third party feedback


Later, I was lucky and happy to have Christian Van Genechten & Marc Van den Broeck, two of my fellow training partners from the Systema training camp attend a stick fighting seminar I taught in Antwerp (set up by HEMA's great SWARTA group)

Here's what they had to say regarding their own perception as to the multiple opponent stick-fighting skill-set they got to practice:   



"The use of the single short baton was an eye opener for me. 

Being a baton instructor for the government, the principles and tactics
against multiple opponents filled up a gap in our training. 

Additionally, Luis’s use of it against multiple opponents
is very clear to the practitioner."




A complementary stick-fighting approach


While being a big believer in conceptual mma, as in having people merge the strengths of different martial systems, I am critical of there being instructors who manage to master all variables of combat (distances, weapons, etc)

Hence, I consider it preferable to gather teams of instructors, so as to have each source of input coming from an instructor specialized in researching a particular field. 


Mass-attack
This motivated me to contribute with my personal two cent, and doing so materialized in the form of a 10 lesson tutorial on fighting multiple opponents (mass attack) with one handed weapons (applicable to batons and short swords)


AVAILABLE ON AMAZON

(Paperback & Kindle)


With my mission accomplished, I will turn my attention to other projects, while hoping you come to enjoy both the skill-set and the training approach that make up this tutorial.

Thanks for reading, and may your martial path continue providing you lots of fun stimuli for years to come, cheers! 



Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário